Pauli Lyytinen is a Helsinki based musician and composer. Lyytinen´s approach to music is always improvisatory and experimental regardless of the genre. As saxophonist he´s been studying and exploring widely extended sounds and techniques and the use of effect pedals with acoustic sax. This has led him into the world of electro acoustic sounds and possibilities of solo orchestrations. He´s also familiar with electronical instruments like the electric wind instrument (ewi), variety of synthesizers, samplers and drum machines.
Lyytinen has made over 80 tours and performed on numerous amount of festivals and clubs in 35 countries in Europe, Africa, South America and Asia with his own bands since 2006. He has released over 30 albums with his own groups. The musical range spreads from free improvisation and free jazz to experimental pop, ambient and contemporary classical music.
– Artist-in-Residence, Südtirol Jazz Festival (IT) 2018
– Pori Jazz festival´s Ted Curson – award 2017
– Artistic leader of Voodoo Music Club 2017-
– Co-founder of Laponia Improvisations school for improvisation and composition 2012-
– 1st prize in 2007 „Jukka Perko – saxophone competition”, 2nd prize in 2004
– Nokia Young Talent prize 2004